It's always fun to experiment with a spring dessert recipe for backyard gatherings. Lemon is a great flavor for a wide range of desserts because of its mild taste that mixes well with other flavors. This is why it has been used as a cake flavor for centuries.
Exploring the lemon pound cake
Ingredients to be used
The ingredients for lemon pound cake consist of flour, sugar, baking soda, buttermilk, eggs, butter, and lemon extract. The amounts for each ingredient can be estimated and experimented with depending on taste.
However, you can use the following measures to create a regular-sized lemon pound cake.
- 2 and 1/2 cups of white sugar,
- one cup of buttermilk,
- four eggs, and
- 3 and 1/2 cups of flour as the main ingredients.
- ½ a tablespoon of salt and baking soda can each be sprinkled.
Apart from these basic ingredients, you can also add a glaze mixed with lemon juice to the dessert to make it even tastier. If the glaze seems too thin, just add more sugar. The glaze can be easily made from 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup of lemon juice, and 1 tablespoon of lemon zest. Use a few tablespoons of softened butter for a more cohesive blend.
This one-pound dessert that serves a dozen people takes about twenty minutes to prepare and an hour to bake.
Steps to be followed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F while setting up a fluted tube pan.
- Beat white sugar, butter, and eggs with an electric mixer in a bowl for about ten minutes. During the process, add one egg at a time, making sure it mixes well with the butter.
- Sift flour and baking soda with salt in a bowl. Gradually mix the flour and butter before adding the buttermilk. Beat the mixture well, then stir in the lemon extract. The batter is ready to be poured into the tube pan.
- Lower the oven temperature to 325 degrees F and let the cake bake for up to 75 minutes.
- After about an hour of baking in the oven, check the center of the cake's texture with a toothpick to see if it comes out clean. Once it looks ready, let the cake sit for about ten minutes.
- Prepare the glaze separately in a bowl and pour about half of it over the cake while it cools. Then pour the rest of the glaze over the cake when it's ready to be served.
Variations of lemon buttermilk pound cake
The purpose of using buttermilk for lemon pound cake is to add a pleasant taste to it. Buttermilk gives baked foods a softer texture. Some chefs like to add vanilla extract to pound cake for extra flavor.
Other ingredients that can enhance the taste of lemon buttermilk pound cake include sour cream or cream cheese. Once the cake is ready, consider serving it with fruit such as cranberries, blueberries, or strawberries. Some chefs even mix cranberries in with the lemon pound cake batter.
Preparing desserts for guests at your home is a great way to showcase your spring recipes and make friends in your community. To secure reliable coverage, contact
the experts at Little & Sons Insurance Services
. Serving Banning and the surrounding cities in California, we are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.