How to (Safely) Clean Your Gutters
Cleaning your gutters doesn’t have to be the huge hassle you imagine it being if you follow these simple guidelines.
How many times have you put off cleaning your gutters in the past month? Too many to count, that’s for sure. Cleaning your gutters is one of those jobs that one can put off, but the longer you wait, the harder the job will be when you eventually get to it. Cleaning your gutters every spring and fall will keep them working like they’re supposed to.
What You’ll Need
- 2 Buckets and Bucket Hooks
- Latex gloves
- Gardening gloves
- Garden hose
- Safety gloves
How to Clean the Gutters
Wet debris can soak through your gardening gloves, but by wearing latex gloves under the gardening gloves, you can keep your hands dry.
Be sure never to step over the second-to-last rung on your ladder.
One bucket for carrying your tools, and the other for the debris.
- Start near the downspout and begin by removing all of the large stuff (like leaves and twigs) in your gutters; you can do this by hand. Then use the trowel to remove the smaller debris.
- Once you’ve removed everything you can collect, drain the rest using the garden hose starting at the opposite end of the downspout to make sure the entire gutter flushes out.
- If the gutter doesn’t drain, then the downspout is likely clogged. Remove the bottom end of the downspout and insert the hose through the bottom end and try to flush out the clutter. (Don’t forget to reattach the downspout parts you removed.)
- Rinse the gutter one last time to make sure the clog has been dealt with.
The right gutter technique won’t matter if a covered disaster strikes your home and destroys you gutters and other structures. Getting the right insurance coverage shouldn’t be a task you have to worry about, so contact Little & Sons Insurance Services. Our dedicated team can help you get the right homeowners insurance. We serve Banning, Beaumont, Calimesa, Redlands, and the surrounding California area and can help you protect yourself against the risks you face.