Whip Up This St. Patrick’s Day Recipe!
Try This Healthy Corned Beef and Cabbage Recipe for St. Patrick’s Day
St. Patrick’s Day, March 17th, is a day where everyone wears their best green t-shirts and enjoys classic Irish culinary dishes. Irish soda bread, corned beef and cabbage, and a pint of Guinness are among the favorites that we like to enjoy on this day. If you’re looking for a classically Irish dish with a twist, try this healthy corned beef and cabbage alternative dish that is suitable for the whole family!
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 leaf bay leaf
- 1 small beet o
- 2 14 oz packages tofu or tempeh
- 1 small cabbage
- 4-6 small potatoes
- 3-4 medium carrots
- Make a flavored brine by adding water, salt, pickling spice, mustard and coriander seeds, a bay leaf, and a beet to a medium-sized pot.
- Boil the brine for about 10 minutes to get the spices to release flavor.
- Add thinly sliced tofu. (Cut about 1/4 inch thick).
- Simmer for about 5 minutes and then turn off heat and let it sit for about 30 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 375° F
- Bake the tofu on an oiled cookie sheet at 357° F for about 1 hour until it starts to get crispy at the edges.
- Serve with cabbage and potatoes, mashed potatoes, or use as sandwich “meat” to make a Ruben.
- Wash and cut the desired vegetables into big pieces.
- Add potatoes, carrots, and cabbage, plus and an additional cup of water to the brine once the tofu has been removed.
- Simmer the vegetables covered with a lid for about 30 minutes until potatoes are soft in the middle.
- Remove from the cooking water and serve.
We hope that you enjoy this recipe and St. Patrick’s Day! To find the right insurance to cover your needs, contact the team at Little & Sons Insurance Services! Our dedicated team is ready to help you get the personal insurance you need.