Share the Road! May is Motorcycle Awareness Month
Stay Safe Driving Throughout Motorcycle Awareness Month
As the weather continues to get warmer and warmer, we start to see more motorcycles gracing the roads. There’s nothing quite like that feeling of riding the bike on an open road in summer, but getting on a motorcycle doesn’t come without its risks. May is Motorcycle Awareness Month, a national initiative aimed at getting motorists and motorcyclists to share the road with each other and drive safely. Take a look at a few tips we’ve rounded up for this month!
- Suit up! Dress both for visibility and protection. Wear a helmet that meets the Department of Transportation standards, and consider wearing the gloves, boots, jacket, and goggles even when it’s warm outside.
- Slow down and avoid staying in a car’s blind spot.
- Avoid weaving in and out of traffic. The fast movements can easily be misjudged by a driver and it’s likely you will come off worst if they move into the same lane you were moving into.
- Attend a motorcycle training course or a safety course. This is especially important if you haven’t ridden since last year.
- Try to anticipate the moves of other vehicles around you. Be sure you make it clear to other motorists when you are about to move.
- Avoid riding when the weather is inclement and visibility is poor.
- Secure reliable motorcycle insurance.
- Increase the distance between yourself and a motorcyclist to reduce the risk of a crash.
- Check all mirrors and blind spots for motorcyclists before changing lanes or merging, especially at intersections. Motorcycles are smaller, making it easy to misjudge their speed and distance.
- Always signal when changing lanes or merging with traffic so others know your intentions.
- Never drive distracted.
- Secure reliable auto insurance.
Stay safe while riding this season! You deserve a motorcycle insurance policy that works together to bring you the best possible coverage from an insurer with your best interest in mind. For quality coverage, contact Little & Sons Insurance Services today.