Safety Tips for Decking the Halls This Season
Keep Safe When Putting Up Holiday Decorations
Haul out the holly, string up the sparkling lights, and hang the stocking by the chimney (with care!). The holiday season is finally here, which means it’s time to deck the halls with all kinds of festive decorations. To help you stay safe, make sure you have optimum homeowners insurance in Calimesa, CA and follow these safety tips.
- Look for overhead power lines before setting up your ladder to hang outdoor lights and decorations. Keep away from all power lines by at least three meters.
- Only use lights outside that are meant for exterior use. Do not hang them up using staples or nails.
- Never use damaged extension cords and avoid plugging too many decorations into the same outlet. Overloaded sockets could start a fire.
- Never use lights that have frayed wires or damaged cords. Replace them with a new set.
- Turn off holiday lights and blow out candles before leaving the house or going to bed.
- If buying an artificial tree, look for the fire-resistant label. When putting it up, keep it away from heat sources and out of the way of foot traffic.
- If getting a live tree, make sure it is fresh and water it often to keep it hydrated. Bend the needles up and down to make sure no needles fall off.
- Do not use electric lights on metallic trees.
- Keep children and pets away from decorations and candles.
- If hanging stockings on the fireplace mantel, do not light the fireplace.
Just a little precaution can go a long way this season! We hope that these tips help you to stay a little safer while decorating. To find the right home insurance to cover you throughout the holiday season and beyond, contact the team at Little & Sons Insurance Services! Our dedicated team is ready to help you get the personal insurance you need.