Safeguard Your Home From Wildfire: Essential Tips to Consider
Essential Wildfire Preparation Tips
California is no stranger to wildfires. In recent years, wildfires have continued to rage on and break records, devastating communities, businesses, and natural landscape. Although we fear the worst, largest fires, it only takes a small half-acre fire to inflict serious damage on a property owner. To ensure that your home and homeowners insurance in Calimesa, CA is ready, take a look at these wildfire preparation tips.
- Create a “defensible space” around your home that extends at least 30 feet away from buildings and structures.
- Clear all flammable debris from your yard, including dead vegetation, dying shrubs, and pine needles.
- Keep your grass mowed, bushes and shrubs trimmed, and prune any tree limbs that are near or touching your house, roof or chimney.
- Make sure there is plenty of vertical and horizontal space between the grass, bushes, and trees, as it is crucial in reducing the spread of wildfire.
- Remove anything stored underneath decks or porches.
- If you have trees on your property, prune so the lowest branches are 6 to 10 feet from the ground.
- Keep your lawn hydrated and maintained. If it’s brown and dying, cut it down and reduce fire intensity.
- Properly dispose of debris and lawn cuttings.
- Inspect shingles or roof tiles. Replace or repair those that are loose or missing to prevent ember penetration.
- Cover exterior attic vents with metal wire mesh no larger than 1/8 inch to prevent sparks from entering the home.
- Enclose under-eave and soffit vents or screen with metal mesh to prevent ember entry.
The most important thing to remember during wildfire season – and with any type of fire, any time of year – is safety first. It’s imperative that you have an evacuation plan in place in the event that you and your family will need to leave your home quickly. Wildfires are dangerous, unpredictable, and can spread quickly.
Are you ready to get started on the right homeowners insurance for your needs? Visit the team at Little & Sons Insurance Services to get started!