Is It a Mistake to Make a Claim on Your Home Insurance?
Is Filing a Home Insurance Claim Worthwhile?
Your homeowners insurance in Calimesa, CA is designed to protect your home from major catastrophes. But if an event takes place and doesn’t cause complete destruction, is filing a home insurance claim worthwhile?
Every insurance agency has different guidelines for what makes a valid claim; as well as for what policy modifications are necessary after a claim has been filed. In most cases, insurance rates are raised. If you file claim after claim after claim, your insurance company could drop you from coverage. Therefore, it’s helpful to know generally when/when not to file a claim for property damage.
Avoid filing a claim:
- If you can handle paying for the damages yourself because the cost to repair the damage is affordable (this may be just over your deductible).
- If you make your second claim in the past 3 years or 3rd/4th claim in the past 10 years.
- If the event causing damage or the item damage is not covered by the policy.
- If the damage should have been reported and claimed sooner and it has only gotten worse since then.
- If damage has resulted from poor upkeep and lack of maintenance.
File a claim:
- When your property has suffered major damage.
- When the cost of repairing the damage is far beyond your means.
- As soon as possible after the damage has occurred to keep your property insurance-worthy.
Note that you can always call a restoration company to get a quote for the repairs before you file a claim and pay the deductible. It may be better to pause and consider not filing a claim after disaster strikes.
If you are still unsure about when it is best to file a claim, don’t hesitate to contact your insurer. The team at Little & Sons Insurance Services in Banning, California can help find reliable home insurance! Contact us today to get started.