How to Spot Signs of Water and Flooding Damage
Identify Signs of Water Damage and Restore with Care
Although California is not known for its adverse weather, it has been home to a huge downpour of rain recently. With rain comes the potential of flooding and water damage in the home. Water damage and flooding can cause a whole host of issues from structural concerns to mold, it’s important to act immediately to prevent damage. To help you protect your property, here are some tips on how to spot signs of water damage and how to restore with care.
Signs of Water Damage
- Change to flooring, walls, or ceilings. The early signs of water damage are peeling or bubbling paint or wallpaper. Over time, they will become bloated and may even warp. Wet flooring will feel spongy and wet tile may begin to crack.
- Visible stains or mold growth. Stains will often develop if there is a slow and consistent leak, while mold will appear if areas are consistently damp.
- Musty odors. The smell is often compared to wet newspaper or cardboard. Musty smells that develop shortly after heavy rainfall are signs there could be issues with your foundation. The area may also feel humid, especially near the water damaged area.
Repair and Restoration
- Identify the source. The sooner you can stop the leak, the better. This may mean you need to turn off the water valve.
- Remove any standing water. For large-scale flooding, you may need to hire a water vacuum.
- Begin the drying out process. If it’s not raining, open your windows. Hire a dehumidifier to draw moisture from the room.
- Drywall that has been affected will need to be removed and replaced.
- Disinfect remaining materials.
- Protect against future leaks. Regularly check pipes, take extra precautions in cold weather, and invest in a water security system.
Keep in mind that your home insurance may only help if your home has faced water damage rather than flooding. Flood insurance can be purchased separately. For all of your homeowners insurance and flood insurance needs, talk to the professionals at Little & Sons Insurance Services, serving Banning and neighboring cities in California.