How to Scale Back Your Phone Usage When Driving
Cut Back on Your Phone Usage When Behind the Wheel
There’s no doubt that technology has advanced our lives, from improving communication to working smarter. However, even though staying connected can be incredibly useful in our daily lives, smartphones have an ability to command our attention which can cause serious problems. In the U.S, nine people are killed and more than 1,000 are injured every day in crashes involving a distracted driver. Many of those distractions are a direct result of smartphones in the vehicle. Scaling back on our overall usage of our phone can be better for our health and mean that we’re less likely to pick up our phones when behind the wheel. While auto insurance in Banning, CA can help when the worst happens, nothing can replace the importance of driving safely behind the wheel.
Driving while distracted can result in a wide range of errors, some of which are fatal, including:
- A lack of awareness of surrounding road users, pedestrians, and potential hazards
- Failing to see road signs and warnings
- Struggling to maintain the recommended safe speed
- Failing to keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front
- Poor lane discipline – switching lanes without indicating
Research has found that even using a phone hands-free can lead to crashes, accidents, and fatalities. If a police officer were to catch you on your phone while driving, there can be serious penalties and fines.
Avoid the worst from happening with these safe driving tips:
- Turn off your phone before you start your journey
- Set up your GPS before you turn on the engine
- If you need to make a call or check your phone, pull over to a safe spot and turn off the vehicle
- Avoid using your phone, even with hands-free technology
- Leave your phone out of reach if you know you’ll feel tempted to pick it up during the journey
- Don’t call or text someone you know is driving
- If you call someone and they are driving, ask them to call back after their journey
Car insurance is there when you need it the most. To secure reliable coverage, contact the experts at Little & Sons Insurance Services. Serving Banning and the surrounding cities in California, we are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.