Prevent Carbon Monoxide Leakages
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that builds up when there’s not enough fresh air circulating. Several items, including gas-fired appliances, vents, furnaces, fireplaces, chimneys, and cars release carbon monoxide, which increases the importance of taking precautions to reduce the risk of outflows.
Every home needs a CO alarm installed. Keep in mind you should test it regularly as it is the only way to detect this toxic gas. An alarm should be placed on each floor of your home, and close enough to the bedrooms to hear it when doors are closed. Follow up on laws in your state for requirements.
All people, including pets, are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Young children, the elderly, and those with heart or lung problems are particularly vulnerable. Symptoms from low-level exposure cause nausea, headaches, and shortness of breath. Moderate levels cause dizziness, light-headedness, and high levels of exposure can be fatal within minutes. It is important to note that CO can be present even without any symptoms, so your alarm is your best bet to follow.
Prevent CO leakage by installing a carbon monoxide alarm, have a qualified professional check all fuel-burning appliances annually, and never leave your car engine on in garage even if the garage doors are open! If you suspect CO poisoning because the people in your house and pets are not feeling well, it is best to evacuate your home immediately. Turn off appliances, leave the door open for ventilation, and contact the fire department!
Find quality homeowners insurance in Calimesa, California, contact Little & Sons Insurance Group. We provide seamless insurance in Redlands, California, as well as insurance services in Banning, Beaumont, Calimesa, and the surrounding areas.