Get your boat ready for summer
With summer just around the corner, it is the perfect time to make sure your boat is ready for your first summer trip. Following these simple de-winterizing tips will ensure that you are prepared when it comes time to take your boat out.
- Give your boat a thorough washing after taking it out of storage. If there is any damage to the hull of the boat or to the upholstery, make sure to fix it as soon as possible.
- Replace everything that was taken out for storage, such as life jackets, first-aid kits, and flares. This is also a good time to check your safety equipment to make sure that it is all in working order.
- Connect all electronic equipment, such as the radio or GPS, and make sure they work properly.
- Check all the fluid levels, such as the oil, are at the proper level and add any fluid if necessary.
- Reconnect the fuel lines and check or any wear of damage. It possible, start up your boat at home, using engine muffs and a garden hose, to make sure it is running correctly.
- Make sure to wash and inspect the trailer. If there is any damage, make sure to fix it as soon as possible.
- Check the tires to make sure they are properly inflated and they have plenty of tread. Making sure the tires are in good condition will save you from possible damages to your trailer and boat down the line.
- Check the turn signals and break lights to make sure they are working properly.
Most importantly, make sure that you have the proper insurance to cover your boat and belongings. Little & Sons Insurance Services is an independent insurance company that can help you get the perfect boat insurance policy to cover your investment.