Hacking the World
Movies like “Skyfall” and “Mission Impossible” are dependent on being able to override security systems, causing explosions, changing traffic lights, and even launching nuclear missiles. While it may make a great movie, the truly frightening is that it is presently possible to do in this day and age.
Anything that connects to the internet is a part of this web that can—with the right conditions—be hacked into and controlled. Your computer, your phone, your car, heart monitors, etc. As technology and security systems improve, so do hackers; they are always within one step of each other. Know how you are vulnerable with today’s technology:
- Medical devices – insulin pumps and other medical devices can be hacked into and have their dosage changed resulting in an overdose.
- Toys – The new Barbie doll is connected to the Internet, which means that it can be hacked and the hacker can use it as a listening device.
- Cars – If you have a new car that’s connected, you could be in trouble. Wired Magazine hired two hackers to show that everything can be controlled from a computer; including the steering wheel!
- Laptops and TVs – Bad people can remotely take over the audio, camera, to spy on the user and download sensitive information.
Fortunately, the majority of these hackers were hired by the companies to expose risks to the products. But no one is perfect, and they may have missed some that may leave you exposed. Here is what insurers can do to provide security to its customers.
- Cyber risk insurance must greatly expand. The industry has done a great job in helping customers with financial exposures. A whole new class of cyber threats must be evaluated and dealt with.
- Insurers must look after their cyber weaknesses as well. Securing their customers may not be enough when their own systems are vulnerable. Securing themselves is a must.
- Loss control & cyber safety. Individuals and business need to know how to best protect their sensitive and classified information.
- Industry must initiate and innovate. New technology defenses, laws, and regulations all play an important role in deterring bad hackers.
While it may be a very exciting time to be alive, it’s also important to prepare and protect yourself against the evils at work in the cyber world. At Little & Sons Insurance Services, we understand how important it is to stay up to date with the current technology. For all of your insurance needs in Banning, Beaumont, Calimesa, and surrounding California areas, contact us today!