Auto Insurance Claims: Do’s and Don’ts
Handling a Car Insurance Claim
Even good drivers get into accidents. When you need to file a claim with your auto insurance in Banning, CA it pays to know how to handle the process. A smooth claim filing process means that you get back on your feet – and road – as soon as possible. Here are some must-know tips about auto insurance claims.
- Review your policy beforehand. When an accident happens, you don’t want to waste time reading through your policy. Know now what your policy does and does not cover. This is also a good opportunity to fill in any gaps in coverage as necessary.
- Call the police. An official police report will help to tell the insurer what happened and prove that an accident did happen.
- Take pictures of the damage to the vehicle, the location of the accident, and write down any notes about what you can remember about the sequence of events.
- Keep all receipts that incur from repairs, rentals, and purchases associated with the accident.
- Understand what you owe on the car. If your car is totaled, most auto policies will only cover the cash value of your car at the time of the accident.
- Don’t get into an argument with other drivers that were involved in the accident. Keep calm and level-headed.
- Don’t admit fault. Even if you think it was your fault, admitting to it could mean you lose coverage you’re entitled to.
- Don’t sign a release or accept a check. Avoid signing anything until you’ve read through the document and received legal advice, if necessary.
- Don’t wait! Call your insurer right away.
Car insurance is there when you need it the most. To secure reliable coverage, contact the experts at Little & Sons Insurance Services. Serving Banning and the surrounding cities in California, we are ready to assist you with all your insurance needs.