Make Sure Your Home is Safe from Carbon Monoxide
What you should know about keeping your home safe.
When it comes to protecting your home from two common killers, there are very easy, although often overlooked, solutions. Your home could suffer from smoke from a fire or carbon monoxide, known as a silent killer. Luckily, protecting your home has never been easier.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, over 200 people in the United States die annually from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, usually due to faulty gas appliances. Carbon monoxide gas is incredibly difficult to detect because it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Carbon monoxide is produced from gas-burning appliances, such as heaters and fireplaces.
Prevention still remains to be one of the best ways to avoid troublesome incidents. Here are several tasks you can do to reduce the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning:
- Install a carbon monoxide alarm and test it regularly.
- Never use an un-vented kerosene or gas space heater indoors.
- Do not let your car idle in the garage – even if the garage door is open!
- Don’t let your gas oven heat your home.
- You should never use a charcoal grill indoors.
- Hire a professional to inspect gas appliances and systems before the start of the winter.
- Do not block any vents – If there is shrubbery by an outside vent, ensure that it is trimmed well away from the vent.
- Have the chimney cleaned at least annually.
Fires can start from a simple burning candle or an unattended stove. Homeowners must be diligent about using candles and appliances in their home to protect it from a fire. What’s more, homes in California can also be susceptible to wildfires, making the need to protect property even more important.
In January 2005, a new state law became effective that extended the defensible space clearance around homes and structures from 30 feet to 100 feet. Proper clearance to 100 feet dramatically increases the chance of your house surviving a wildfire. This defensible space also provides for firefighter safety when protecting homes during a wildland fire.
It’s advised that homeowners purchase a reputable and reliable fire extinguisher in case there is a fire in the home. This simple device can put an end to flames in seconds and minimize the damage to the property.